OSOD has maintained a long and successful history of ocular drug development through its exclusive collaboration with Covance, Inc. in preclinical toxicology, ocular DM/PK, and efficacy studies. Unique features of this collaboration include:
- Depth of expertise that allows for conduction of large and complex study designs
- Detailed documentation of study procedures, specialized data recording forms, and a shared lexicon
- Co-investment by OSOD and Covance, Inc. in development and validation of models to accelerate drug development
- Use of OSOD ocular equipment and Part 11 compliance validation by Covance, Inc. (e.g., ERG instrumentation)
- The opportunity for OSOD members to participate in GLP training at Covance, Inc.
Ocular procedures are performed in dedicated rooms at Covance, Inc. by OSOD experts, with assistance from dedicated Covance, Inc. study directors and technical support staff trained to conduct the full range of ocular procedures.
OSOD personnel are only 15 minutes from Covance, Inc. in Madison, WI, allowing excellent responsiveness to study needs, and basically providing an ”ophthalmologist/vision scientist on call.”